Ethical + sustainable
We are committed to delivering a sustainable cacao product for our community and our environment:
- We connect and trade directly with each grower with transparency
- We pay well beyond Fair Trade prices for quality
- Supports growers with their kids’ education, caring for the elderly and assisting with family and village affairs
- In NZ, we pay for existing professional services, digital expertise, photographers, sales and marketing gurus as well our product development suppliers
- We have NZ kiwi ingenuity with delicious chocolate containing no milk, no soy, no lethicin, no GMO
- We use available environmentally friendly materials and solutions as much as possible at all stages
- Our chocolate is a carbon neutral chocolate, impacts of production has been offset by re-forestation planting
- Our chocolate packaging is recyclable and is certified FSC which means it has been produced in a responsible way.
We will not compromise on the quality of our beans, or any ingredient used in the sourcing and making of our Ola Pacifica range of chocolate, which starts with the quality of the beans. Cacao (ka-cow) are bean-like seeds from which real chocolate is made. Cacao grows in countries that are within latitudes 10°N and 10°S, which includes Samoa. Our cacao is less bitter than most other cacao beans. It is grown and harvested from traditional Samoan integrated permaculture plantations, organically grown without the use of harmful pesticides, herbicides or synthetics. Our beans are checked, sorted and inspected manually many times for quality.
No additives - just real ingredients
Our chocolate does not have any fillers or additives such as starch, oily additives, lethicin, soy, milk solids or Dutch cocoa. “Dutching” is the process of alkalizing cocoa by adding potassium or sodium carbonates before oil extraction. In some cases, hide low-quality, astringent cacao varieties by alkalizing and adding other ingredients. Ola Pacifica does not do this!
Plant-based for vegans
All our ingredients are sourced from plants with no dairy or non-plant additives. No animals were used, affected or killed in the process of sourcing the beans to producing chocolate bars. Therefore our chocolate is suitable for vegans.
Our chocolate does not contain any soy, dairy or gluten, but please note that our chocolate is made in a facility that also processes almond, hazelnuts, milk and soy.
Expertly crafted in Switzerland
The need for a bigger market was met with not just any Swiss chocolate maker but one with aligned philosophy on sustainability alongside making decadent chocolate. Walking the talk on sustainability at all levels; from supporting sustainable cocoa farming, to purchasing cocoa beans, sourcing raw material with ethical and ecological procurement guidelines to energy efficient premises and actively doing their part in minimising effects on the environment, is a huge step in our journey. Our beans are grown in Samoa, our recipes originated in New Zealand and our chocolate is now manufactured in Switzerland by (arguably) the world’s best chocolate makers. We are very proud and very fortunate.
The most important factor: love!
We’ve brought together our tribe of family, growers, chocolate makers and other trusted partners to create you a truly delicious, ethical, sustainable bar of chocolate. Enjoy!