Ethical + sustainable
We are committed to delivering a sustainable cacao product for our community and our environment:
- We connect and trade directly with each grower with transparency
- We pay well beyond Fair Trade prices for quality
- This income goes a long way to helping growers with their kids’ education, caring for the elderly and assisting with family and village affairs
- We contribute to local economy by utilising existing local services and employ youth & locals at different stages of the process
- We use available environmentally friendly materials and solutions as much as possible
- Our Swiss chocolate-makers are an accredited carbon neutral partner actively committed to sustainability
- Our chocolate packaging is paper made from recycled wood
We will not compromise on the quality of our beans, or any ingredient used in the sourcing and making of our Ola Pacifica range of chocolate, which starts with the quality of the beans. Cacao (ka-cow) are bean-like seeds from which real chocolate is made. Cacao grows in countries that are within latitudes 10°N and 10°S, which includes Samoa. Our cacao is less bitter than most other cacao beans. It is grown and harvested from traditional Samoan integrated permaculture plantations, organically grown without the use of harmful pesticides, herbicides or synthetics. Our beans are checked, sorted and inspected manually many times for quality.
No additives - just real ingredients
Our chocolate does not have any fillers or additives such as starch, oily additives, lethicin, soy, milk solids or Dutch cocoa. “Dutching” is the process of alkalizing cocoa by adding potassium or sodium carbonates before oil extraction. In some cases, hide low-quality, astringent cacao varieties by alkalizing and adding other ingredients. Ola Pacifica does not do this!
Plant-based for vegans
All our ingredients are sourced from plants with no dairy or non-plant additives. No animals were used, affected or killed in the process of sourcing the beans to producing chocolate bars. Therefore our chocolate is suitable for vegans.
Our chocolate does not contain any soy, dairy or gluten, but please note that our chocolate is made in a facility that also processes almond, hazelnuts, milk and soy.
Expertly crafted in Switzerland
Our beans are grown in Samoa, our recipe is developed in New Zealand and our chocolate is made in Switzerland by (arguably) the world’s best chocolate makers. We spent a lot of time finding a partner with aligned philosophy on sustainability alongside making decadent chocolate. They are committed to sustainability at all levels; from supporting sustainable cocoa farming, to purchasing cocoa beans, sourcing raw material with ethical and ecological procurement guidelines to energy efficient premises and actively doing their part in minimising effects on the environment.
The most important factor: love!
We’ve brought together our tribe of family, growers, chocolate makers and other trusted partners to create you a truly delicious, ethical, sustainable bar of chocolate. Enjoy!